Week of April 27-May 3

Good afternoon everyone!

I am so excited for the upcoming weather, as they say April showers bring May flowers. I hope you are all able to get out and enjoy some of the sunshine and fresh air! This week I am going to be looking for a little bit more creativity from you all in your movement!

Active Activity

Preschool and Kindergarten

This week for my younger students Pk-K I would like you to work on pathways and traveling using objects you can find to help you! This might look like laying sticks in shapes of letters on the ground, or placing cones, or using chalk to make a pathway. Pathways we have learned are zig zag, straight lines, curved pathways and a combination! Please use different ways to travel like walking, galloping, skipping, hopping, and leaping. We also know that there are different directions we can travel!  Forward, backward, side to side, above, below, inside and outside! We also know there are different speeds we can travel, fast, slow, medium, we can also travel at different levels, high, low, medium. I would also like you to join the activity below!

Preschool-6th Grade

All  grades please begin with this game OUTDOORS! You will need parent permission to play indoors and you should invite all family members to play. This is a fun activity for all ages, it requires balance, agility, and a bit of listening. This game is called FLOOR IS LAVA.  The way the game works: you need to make rules for where the boundaries of your area of play is, you need to make sure to mention which items are off limits to use, and you need to make sure the objects you are playing with are safe. Once you have made these rules one person will say ‘the floor is lava!’ Once this is announced the person that called it will count down from 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and BOOM the floor becomes imaginary molten lava. You need to make sure you are not touching the ground with any body part by the time the counter gets to 1. You have to hold that position until the counter says the ground is safe. This cannot be longer than 5 full seconds.  If you touch the ground you’ve become lava. There isn’t winning or losing in the game however you should switch who gets to count and call ‘the floor is lava.’ The counter can participate if they would like but they don’t have to if they called it. You can make this game more challenging if you make the rule that people cannot share the same space.

Another variation is to challenge yourself to get from one side of the playing space to the other without touching the ground. Most grades did this challenge in P.E at the beginning of the year using all sorts of equipment! Since we are at home and don’t have the fun items from P.E we will have to improvise! Use items that would be safe!

Here is a video of the game being played with the first variation!

Challenge Activity

This week’s challenge was inspired by a 5th grade student who sent me a video of what he’s been up to! He has been playing ‘Dude Perfect Golf’ where each person is given a frisbee, basketball, soccer ball and a football. Then they start from far away from their basketball net and try to see how many times they can get their objects to land in the hoop by throwing or kicking. He sent me a video of himself kicking a soccer ball and scoring it in the basketball net from what looks like at least 20 feet away! So cool!

Your challenge this week is to try to make ‘trick shots.’ This means taking objects that can be thrown or kicked and try to get them to land in a chosen spot. Here are a couple examples below. You get to make things as challenging or as simple as possible.

I have also included the water bottle flip challenge because it is another simple item to challenge yourself to use. If you are into reusable bottles and don’t happen to have plastic bottles floating around, I have tried with my Nalgene and it works however it is louder and heavier, so I recommend going outside.  Make sure you are not flipping the bottle onto breakable objects.

Brain Break Activity

This week instead of giving you a calming activity I wanted to give you a tool for a brain break. I used 4 sticky notes to create a square on my living room floor. These 4 activities are quick ways you can recharge your body and brain by moving with intention.  Try to perform 15-30 seconds of each of these 4 activities in a row; you will get your heart pumping in only two minutes! Practice these motions slow, and then speed it up, the faster you can go while in control the harder these activities can be. This is a great challenge for your brain and body to do together! Try to create your own patterns too! OR you can try to use the agility ladder exercises we learned and stay in one square instead of traveling.

Hip Swivel Animated GIF

HOT FEET Animated GIF
4 Corner Ski  Animated GIF
UMLMRMBM(up, middle, left, middle, right, middle, bottom, middle)Animated GIF

Have an active and healthy week!

Coach Sadie